22 June 2008

Sunday Boil Up in Boyd River National Park

Ever wonder what peace, tranquillity and serenity look like?

I can show you.....


Welcome to Boyd River National Park. This is where Scotty and I, and Kerry and Andrew spent a leisurely Sunday this past weekend. We could not take the kids, unfortunately because we were exploring a National Park and our ferocious beasts might do something horrendous and go on a rampage against Echnidas, Wallabies, Kangaroo, Wombats and other native wildlife. Not to mention the wanton destruction of all of the wonderful natural and native flora and fauna....

Yes, I am talking about our precious kids. They are forbidden to enter National Parks for the previously mentioned reasons. I mean, I know Neville comes off all aggro and Ginny is unpredictable and well Muffy and Sash are just volatile, violent creatures who firecely attack any and all who cross their path.... so it is best that they stay at home.... alone.... without anyone.... no company....


Now that I am over it and have received my grief counselling, I will tell you all about our trip to serenity and quietude...


We, the AWESOME FOURSOME, that is to say; Kerry, Andrew, Scotty and I set out on a Sunday expedition of quantum porportions...

Firstly, we drove to Oberon (where we went to the pet expo last weekend!) and took the Tourist Drive to Jenolan. Stopped for a pee and a chat to the information centre lady. (She was very nice and helpful). Then we drove to Jenolan Caves and Boyd River National Park on our way to Kanangra Walls for a bush walk. It was really pretty and quiet and we had a relaxing morning.

We followed this path that was straight out of a CS Lewis or Lewis Carroll story and I thought that perhaps we would end up with Narnians but alas and alack, no Pevensie children turned up. I thought I saw a mad hatter at one stage, but as it turned out, I was mistaken, it was just Kerry. I won't mention who Tweedle-dum and Tweedle-dee were, though.


We walked this path, avoiding or jumping into (depending on if your were Tweendle-dum or not) various puddles and enjoyed the fresh air and life to turn a corner to end up.....


at the edge of the world.


You can not get a sense of depth or dimension from this photo, which is unfortunate, as it is one of the most breathtaking sights you shall see.

After admiring the Blue Mountains, Kanangra Walls, and various other sights from our look out (I think I could see Newfoundland from here, but it turned out to only be Tasmania) we decided it was high time for some lunch. All that bushwalking creates an appetite... or, if you are Andrew Hobbit who has 5-7 meals a day, getting to Kanangra Walls was DEFINITELY lunch time.

So it was off to find a picnic site. Scotty could not take the vertigo any longer caused by Kanangra Walls so we hoofed it back to the Prado and drove to another area with less cliff and more flat bits.

We went to Reduce Speed Camp Site.... honestly, that is what the sign read: "Reduce Speed Camp Site". Only later to discover that we were at Boyd River Camp Site and not Reduce Speed Camp Site, afterall.

We got a wonderful fire going and had a boil up. It was a beautiful way to spend a Sunday. Here we were, sitting around a roaring blaze enjoying a cuppa and a tasty feed when Skippy turns up.

Closely followed by Wally the Wallaby who just had to check out who on Earth was making all that noise.... (it was Jen!)

After spending a refreshing couple of hours with a roaring fire and local wildlife, we decided to take a spin to Jenolan. My mum can attest to the fact that there is not a single stretch of straight road in the whole blooming country..... well, if she was with us on Sunday, she would be right.



We went tearing around hairpin turns and bends that made you pucker up, or at least grab onto rails, car seats, driving companion or whatever you could lay your hands on quickest- which as it turns out, is not a good practice if you are trying to eat, are holding fresh eggs, or trying to sip hot coffee, or, note to self: if the person sitting NEXT to you is trying to do either of these.

The drive is a pretty one and the destination, simply stunning. I think I may have got a sun burn on the roof of my mouth. I know I kept banging my head on the window attempting to look up at caves and mountains and things which were looming so high. I had to wear foundation today to cover up the bruise on my forehead- first day of the new job and I did not want to show up black and blue.

We went in and out of tunnel after tunnel and past these caves and massive rock formations which are just gorgeous. There is a hotel at Jenolan and we could not, for the life of us, figure out how they got the materials there to build the ruddy thing in the first place. I don't think they drove the road that we took....

I was impressed at the coach and bus activity there and the shear number of tourists out and about.


We had a marvelous time- as work has been challenging and stressful for some of the AWESOME FOURSOME, I think this trip was just what the doctor ordered, even if it was without the kids.....

No comments: