01 June 2008

Just another week

Sunday:
Scott and I shot down to Sydney to go to the 4WD Show in Penrith. I will admit that I was surprised to see that it was local NSW 4WD clubs congregated in a footy oval with posters and photos of their trips and activities to try to entice new members.

We thought it would be camping gear, 4WD displays, demonstrations with rock climbing and suspension thingy. (Clearly this was for SQ benefit!) So we were a bit disappointed. It was nice to have a day together though and we left the 4WD Mystery a little downhearted. I will say, though, when you are a serious 4WD person, you must have BIG tyres! (tires for those in the northern hemi) I am glad we are not bushwhackers of that description as I don't know how on Earth we would ever afford to live! The bushwahacking we do is pretty tame and we save the rock climbing for us and not for the Prado!

Following the disappointment, we decided to make our own 4WD show and went to Camping World. We had so much fun with all the gadgies and gear in this MASSIVE place. I think the shop attendants thought we were a little mad and that one of us was on a good-behaviour-release day from some little country institution and the other one was taking care of the mad hatter. The trouble was, it was difficult to work out who was the mad hatter....

We decided that this shop was a great place for our entire family who have difficulty trying to buy gifts for us because we don't need anything and cannot express a desire or wish to tell them what to get. This shop has a range of dollar value items and so would meet anyone's budget and we loved ALL of it. You can't go wrong. It was a place made especially for us. We decided that we were going to 'get' a you-beaut single cot which can also adjust to a chair (how flash!) because I always end of getting pushed or bounced off the mattress that we use. So we tried the other camp bed we have and I don't like it- it is basically foam covered in vinyl. And as I mentioned, the blow up job just doesn't cut it- I get bounced to Kingdom-Come. So these beds were flash and we loved them.

Second on the MUST HAVE list was this ripper of a camp kitchen! (Seeing as I now live in Australia I must pronounce it, "Rippah!") We presently use a folding table to place our stove and wash pan on and use it as a preparation bench. The trouble is that it is too low (being a table) even for a shortie like me. So we come home with crook backs. Seeing this camp kitchen was like some sort of religious experience where the sky opened up and rays of wondrous light shone down. (I actually heard the choirs of angels sing- or maybe that was Scotty gasping in reverence) It is actually next on our list to pick up as it is only $300 and folds away into the size of our present folding table, just a bit (5cm) thicker. (the camp kitchen, is thicker, not us)

Next we found these snazzy picnic table and bench units which also fold away.

When I first met Scott and he and I went camping and we were planning our menu and equipment list, I scoffed at him (numerous times) with such phrases like, "That is not camping!' or "You call that camping!" or even better, "You big girl." Due to the sophistication of his camping gear. I kept saying how my mum would be embarrassed and ashamed of me to see me 'camping' with such luxury. Now, after 2 years of expeditions and treks into the wild NSW bush, I am starting to get the sense that
I have slowly warmed up to the luxurious camping style of camping with Scotty. I mean, MATTRESSES, CAMP KITCHENS AND PICNIC TABLES! Yeah right. I mean, the kids have their own bedroom in our TENT!

Anyhooser, this shop had the lot and it was fun to play and find new gadgies. As my Uncle Dave would say, "What they won't prevent". I am reminded of the Harry Potter book (I think it was Goblet of Fire) when Harry looked at the outside of the Weasley's tent thinking it looked about right, then walked in to find it had lazy boy recliners and lamps and even a pet cat inside. I mean, honestly, do you really need a satelite radio, a satelite navigator and a 110 litre fridge to head out for an overnight stay in the local state forest??

I am trying to add photos of the gear we found but I don't think it is working so here is the website:
http://www.campingworld.com.au/site/products.php

We happened back to Bathurst by about 4pm as happy little vegemites. Content to day dream on the 2hr drive back home to the kids who Scott would not let us take for a drive. We have mapped out our next adventure for the June long weekend (next weekend) which is the Queen's birthday. I won't go into how it is 24 May in Newfoundland and 11 June in Australia. I mean, I know we are behind here and all, but that is a bit ridiculous.

Monday:
I slept for much of the day and read and worked. Ho-hum.

Tuesday:
Work and telephone counselling training. I am teaching the Lifeline Counselling Course here in Bathurst and it is fascinating. I have a group of wonderful and kind and compassionate people who want to be crisis counsellors for the telephone counselling service as volunteers. What angels. I am including here the new CSA on youtube for Lifeline for your viewing pleasure.

OK I am having trouble adding photos and video- again. Here are the links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFQ WQCpjCI&feature=related
Called Volunteering for A Difference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MisHmgz4Vo&NR=1
Which is a Missy Higgins piece for Lifeline for those people living in drought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v= dUJCIGtD71
Called the Human Race


Wednesday:
Work and Board meeting- It was a long day. Shall I say, I was BORED?

Thursday:
Work and grocery shopping and clarinet practice with Bella. How much fun has life been playing clarinet with Bella? I love it. It is so wonderful and she is a gorgeous child. She plays in her school and wanted someone else to practice with so 1 night a week we play for an hour. It is great!

Friday:
Work and GAME NIGHT
Game night this week saw Steve and Elya, Andrew and Kerry join Scott and Jen for 2 hours of bluffing hilarity with Balderdash followed by 2 hours of Smart Ass. It was great. We ate and ate and ate and everyone sat at the dining room table had a kid on their lap and a glass in their hand and a smile on their face- what more could you want with life?

This weekend:
This weekend sees Jen facilitating an ASIST workshop at work. It is wonderful and great and I love it, but the timing stinks. I had reserved this weekend to catch up on some work so I could start cluing things up because I HAVE A NEW JOB AND WILL BE LEAVING ON 20 JUNE!!! I have a heap to do before 20 June as you can imagine and now I have lost 2 precious days. Ah well, it will get done I suppose.

On that enigmatic note, because I waxed and waned for so long on the camping gear, I am now going to be late for ASIST this (Sunday) morning and I had better scaddle!

love to everyone!

1 comment:

Clicky said...

Camping with a mattress and a table is luxury?! Oh my...I would like to add running water to that list before I can even call it acceptable!! (I am such a wuss!)