09 September 2008

(Back)Come (to)from a land down under!

Well we have landed and are settling back in, and as I sat to start to give you a catch up, the Men At Work song came unbiddinglt into my head- now you, like me, will have it in your head all day....



"Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover."



I know your head is bobbing now and you can hear the anthem too.... shockingly enough though, it is terrible! Have you actually ever heard the lyrics properly? I just had to look them up- now you can too- pretty gross actually! lol



Anyway, we are safe and sound and finding ourselves sleeping well in our own little beddie-bye. It sure is nice to be home; holidays are great and we particularly had a sensational time but gosh it is good to be home.



Back into routine of home and work life has been a refreshing novelty after a month of decadence and indulgence.



I have to stop chair dancing now, people will start to worry..... it is a catchy tune!



Well we have sprung into spring, which I must say, in Bathurst, I absolutely adore.



The golden bloom of the winter flowering wattle trees is an indication that spring is just around the corner, but spring time in Australia is also heralded by the buzz of the blowflies gathering at the flyscreens that guard each window and door. ‘Close the door!’ is a regular reminder from parents to energetic children racing in and out.



As the piccaninny dawn fades, the magpies carol ‘good morning’, the ravens caa-aack in the eucalyptus trees and the honey eaters fly in to check out the latest blossoms on the grevilleas, hibiscus,bottlebrush and other nectar rich flowers. The Indian doves build yet another flimsy nest on a wispy tree branch - most won’t survive the high winds of spring– and the wagtails chitter chitter on the lawn as they search for bugs and insects.



By midmorning, tiny lizards are sunbaking on the warm surfaces of driveways, fences, tree stumps and window frames and the blue tongue goannas lurk under the bushes. Though perfectly harmless and less than ten inches long, they’re a daunting sight when on the defensive– wide open mouth sporting a dark blue tongue set against a watermelon pink throat. Both lizards and goannas are cold blooded and like nothing more than to sunbake on a warm, flat surface. Roads are favourite spots and the mortality rate high. Rather a bird brained sort, I feel, the poor lizard. I have stopped counting my sad and sorry road toll as I drive to Orange.



When the day cools, the pink and grey galahs and green and yellow ringneck parrots squabble over the dandelion buds growing on the road verges and overhead, flocks of ageing black cockatoos head back to their roosts in the pine trees.



Spring is also the time we are reminded to ‘slip, slop, slap’ to protect against sun damage, and for allergy sufferers, the daily pollen count is often more important than the weather forecast. Which coming from Newfoundland where you get a weather forecast every 20 minutes on the radio which takes a good 6 minutes (which is a LOT in radio-speak) and on television news, the weather features most prominent. Naturally, the move to Australia was an adjustment, particularly in the area of weather forecasting (and it's accuracy thereof)



The Australian continent is probably the oldest on earth and has more than 6,000 species of unique wildflowers that attracts visitors from all over the world. The best accommodation, coach and rail tours have been booked out months ago- some visitors even book for the next year as they leave– and newspapers publish regular updates on where to find the best display in the various regions.



My favourite is of course the Floriade in Canberra- which is taking place RIGHT NOW!!!
http://www.floriadeaustralia.com/



I can't wait to make a day trip for Floriade- that is the next plan.....



I just love spring and so, returning back home rejevenated and happy, is a great start to my favourite time of year.



Of course the kids were happy to see us, as fat as they are. Poor things. They certainly were not neglected! We now have a strict walking regime, which at least is now certain to continue which is good for Scott and I anyway!



Work has been exciting as I find my feet and now with a change of NSW Government leadership and a complete cabinet reshuffle I am awaiting any potential implications for us and our redevelopment.



We arrived home a mere 11 days ago- I apologise that it has taken so long to get around to writing! We had a lovely day together resting and doing odd jobs around the house; ie bathing the kids who were STINKY! Then we headed with Kerry and her Lab Dipity to the new dog park in Bathurst. It was great.



Saturday Scott was back to work, and I had a luxurious day to myself- I did the shopping and cleaning and normal Saturday jobs. I was very lucky to have 3 days before heading back to work. Scott had Sunday and Monday off and we spent that time recouperating and getting back to 'normal'.



Monday I was back to work and back to routine.



I started working 9-5 for a change- as I declared to Scott whilst away I would. And even took a lunch break and have been walking around our campus- which is delightful- at 12:30 daily.



Scott and I have walked the kids on non-rain days in the evening and they are now no longer scared when we go out the door that we will be gone for another month. God help us what will happen should the suitcases ever come back out!



So, as you can see we are settled back into routine and doing well. We will likely try to get away camping very soon and I am definitely going to try to get to Canberra!



Hope all is well with you- have a sparkling week!

No comments: